Black Rock City’s Department of Public Works (DPW) is the workforce that plans, surveys, builds, and deconstructs the basic infrastructure of our temporary city in the Black Rock Desert. Since 1998 the DPW has worked side by side with all of the departments within the Burning Man Project to institute the City Plan and bring Black Rock City into existence.
Our mandate includes:
- Black Rock City survey
- Fence installation
- Arctica construction
- Artery Everywhere construction
- Center Camp construction
- DPW Ghetto construction
- The Black Rock City power grid
- First Camp construction
- The Black Rock City Fluffer Program
- Fuel services
- Heavy equipment and transportation
- Construction of The Man and The Man Pavilion
- Roads and dust abatement
- Sign production and installation
- More than 200 shade structures
- Spires construction and installation
- Potable and nonpotable water services
- The BRC Yellow Bike Project
- Playa restoration and highway cleanup
After the event, DPW strikes the set, packs away the city’s bones, and makes sure that Black Rock City will truly Leave No Trace.
If all this sounds good to you, and you’d like to be involved, please click here to apply. If you want to know more about the DPW’s volunteer needs, and our operation in general, please visit our volunteer page.