About the Volunteer Leadership Council
As our organization continues to expand in both size and impact, it is more important than ever to maintain and develop the spirit of volunteerism in every aspect of our growth, and to provide greater service and support to our hard-working Volunteer Coordinators (VCs) and the volunteer community at large. The Volunteer Leadership Council (VLC) was formed to support these efforts.
The Volunteer Leadership Council exists to champion the human spirit of volunteerism, creating a foundation for a culture of appreciation and empowerment within the Burning Man community and beyond.
Mission and Purpose
The VLC is an advisory body, grounded in Burning Man’s 10 Principles, that supports the greater Burning Man community by providing guidance regarding training, conflict resolution, resource sharing, and by identifying and sharing best practices in volunteer leadership.
- To create a dialog that will ensure that the unique perspective of the volunteer is faithfully represented in larger decisions being made for the Burning Man Project and any other body in our network
- To maintain and develop the spirit of volunteerism in every aspect of our global growth
- To help strategize the future of volunteer programs
- To provide critical support within our extended network
- To ensure that volunteers feel appreciated at all levels
- To ensure volunteer ethics inform decisions wherever appropriate as we evolve
- To gather best practices around volunteerism from various BRC teams and the Regional Network and make them available to our community
New Development 2017
- Appreciation Committee: Affinity Mingle, David McLean, Helen Hickman, John (Jocko) Magadini, Marcia Crosby
- Conflict Resolution Committee: Adam Zimbardo, David McLean, Harley Dubois, Maryann (orange) Hulsman, Jillian (TrAshley) Ashley
- Documentation & Training Committee: Maryann (orange) Hulsman, Jillian (TrAshley) Ashley, Chris Cline, Stuart Mangrum
Current Membership 2017
- Adam Zimbardo (Fuzzy): Black Rock Rangers
- Affinity Mingle: Burning Man Project Volunteer / Special Projects
- Chris Cline: US Regionals / Utah / RC Alumni
- David McLean (Diver Dave): Black Rock & Regional Rangers / RC Alumni / Events Team
- Harley Dubois: Burning Man Founder / BMP Board Member / VLC Chairman
- Helen Hickman: BRC Volunteer Manager / Center Camp Café
- Jillian TrAshley: BRC Community Services / Waste Mgmt / Conscious Consumption / VC
- John (Jocko) Magadini: BRC Volunteer Manager / Volunteer Resource Team
- Joyce Bertram: International Regionals / Netherlands / Nowhere Event
- Marcia Crosby: BRC Manager / Cafe + Arctica / Representative from BMHQ
- Maryann Hulsman (orange): Burning Man Project VC / Special Projects
- Michael Vav (Vav): Technology / Trainer / Representative from BMHQ
- Sarah Turner (Sabwafaire): BRC Volunteer Mgr / Accounting (on sabbatical)
- Stuart Mangrum: Burning Man Education Director / Representative from BMHQ
- Evan Jenks: Notetaker
VLC Nominee Criteria
In order to maintain a healthy and diverse council with balanced seats, the nominees should strike a balance of the VLC’s required criteria and qualities; not every person will need to have all qualities which will vary over time based on the current needs of the council.
The council will generally seek nominees who are able to envision the big picture and think strategically, have respect within the Burning Man community, have enough time to invest and participate, and hold at least five years of volunteer and Burning Man experience. There are a wide variety of necessary qualities to be considered as a candidate.