The ARTery, also known as the Burning Man Art Team, works year round, on and off playa, in support of Burning Man art.
The ARTery’s on-playa headquarters are located in Center Camp and function as a check-in center for artists, a hub for information about Burning Man art, and a starting point for art tours.
Off playa, the ARTery Team works tirelessly throughout the year, kicking into high gear from February until October, to make sure that artist applications are processed and art-i-facts are catalogued.
The mission of the ARTery is to serve and defend artistic expression at Burning Man. The ARTery facilitates the placement and display of art on the playa during the Burning Man event.
Be An ARTery Volunteer
Interested in joining us on playa? We’re a full-service department dedicated to helping Burning Man artists in any way we can.
- Insight into the art of Burning Man—early “insider’s” knowledge of what is being created
- Working closely with the artist, learning about their process, their drives and their passions
- Helping support the art of Black Rock City—handling the placement of art pieces, sharing of information with participants, enjoying interactions with folks who recognize Burning Man as the premier art event
- Belonging to a community, having fun, and making new friends—the ARTery is a close group of dedicated volunteers within the larger organization
Here are some of the roles that we staff for:
Best traits: friendly, social, calm, and the ability to skillfully manage crowds of Burners. We’re looking for the ultimate people person! The Greeters are the first point of contact at the ARTery and are able to direct the flow of artists during the registration and placement process.
Best traits: Process-oriented, attention to detail, good querying skills, and problem-solving ability. We’re looking for the ultimate playa consultant! Those at the Concierge desk review a detailed checklist with the artist regarding their installation. During this process, we ensure that the artist is informed and understands our requirements.
Best traits: Sturdy constitution, able to work in the elements for long stretches of time, good with directions, and technologically savvy. We’re looking for the ultimate handyman! Field Ops ensures that all the art is placed and logged via GPS by taking the artist to their location on the playa. This is done via golf cart!
- You must have attended Burning Man at least once prior to volunteering. This is a strict policy with no exceptions.
- We request regular attendance in-person at headquarters or via conference call at the monthly ARTery meetings held on the second Thursday of every month from February through August.
- A minimum of three 4-hour shifts during the event.
Can’t get enough of that art stuff? Off-playa, the San Francisco-based ARTery Team holds monthly meetings year round. Our internal groups include Artist Advocate, Operations, Planning, Art Tours, and Tech Team. We currently have over 80 members and typically look for more great people each year.
To join the team, please fill out the Volunteer Questionnaire and mark down Art as your department of interest.
Got a question about the ARTery? Email email@example.com.