Black Rock City PETROL is pleased to announce we will be helping keep the city ablaze by giving Art Projects, Mutant Vehicles and Theme Camps the ability to purchase fuel on playa for 2018.
One of the ways you can help us protect the playa is by storing as little fuel as possible in your camp. Each point of transfer is a risk of spill, fire or worse. It is preferable to have large generators filled daily by the PETROL Department rather than storing fuel in your camp and filling equipment yourself.
The BRC Fuel Program is for registered Art Projects, Mutant Vehicles and Theme Camps with higher volume needs, as well as registered support vehicles. It is not available for passenger vehicles, RV’s, and participants who did not go through the application process, those should plan to bring in their fuel as in the past. This fuel safety program is intended to reduce the amount of traffic transporting large loads of fuel into the event as well as the need for large fuel storage in camps.
PETROL Service Announcements
- PSA #2 – How, Where, When
- PSA #3 – Fuel Safety, Generator Placement & Driving on Playa
- PSA #4 – Fuel Drums and Safe Fuel Storage
Fuel registration will be open from May 15-June 15. You must register within this window, there will be no registrations on playa. Registration is closed.
Obtaining Fuel on Playa
Hell Station: The Hell Station is the participant fueling station, located near 10:00 & L and has gasoline, clear diesel, dyed diesel, and propane. It is also the place you would go to finish setting up your account when you arrive on playa.
- Hell Station will open August 20 for account activation. Deliveries and station fueling will begin on August 22 and will run through September 2. Those needing fuel deliveries for Theme Camp generators after event end, until Tuesday September 4, must schedule this ahead of time. Station fuel line hours will run daily from 10 am-3 pm, and the office will be open from 10 am-5 pm.
- To activate deliveries, your group must let the PETROL Department know you and your generator are on site.
- Art Projects that arrive prior to August 20 should relay their fuel needs through Art Support Services located at the ARTery at 6:30 & Esplanade.
Art Projects: Dyed diesel is available for delivery to art projects with large diesel powered generators that will take 20 gallons or more per delivery and have clear access. If you have a small generator or one that runs on gasoline you can fill-up your CARB and EPA certified fuel containers at the Hell Station and transport them back to your Art Project. Propane is available for delivery to Art Projects on the open playa, the Esplanade, 2:00, and 10:00 roads for cylinders of 100 lb. or greater capacity, and tanks of 25 gal. or greater capacity that have clear access provided. Smaller cylinders and tanks can be filled at the Hell Station during normal hours of operation and transported back to your art project.
Mutant Vehicles: Mutant Vehicles must fill up at the Hell Station during normal hours of operation. Any vehicles with a “Night Time ONLY” Permit should use the city streets and travel along L to the fuel station. This option can be used for other generators ON BOARD and used for Mutant Vehicle purposes (i.e. light, sound, etc.).
Theme Camps: Dyed diesel is available for delivery to Theme Camps with large diesel-powered generators that will take 20 gallons or more per delivery. Large generators that are being fueled by the PETROL Department should be placed along the lettered or numbered street at a maximum of 10 ft from the road with a clear unobstructed access. If you have a small generator or one that runs on gasoline you can fill up your CARB and EPA certified fuel containers at the Hell Station and transport them back to your camp. Propane is available for delivery to Theme Camps with registered flame effects on the Esplanade, 2:00, and 10:00 roads for cylinders of 100 lb. or greater capacity, and tanks of 25 gal. or greater capacity. The tanks/cylinders must be located within 50 ft. of the road and have clear access. Smaller cylinders and tanks can be filled at the Hell Station during normal hours of operation and transported back to your camp.
***Please note: unless you have a DMV Playa Driving Sticker you may not drive your vehicle to the fuel station to fill fuel containers or the vehicle itself. Consider bringing a bike & trailer. All vehicles that approach the fuel station without a driving pass will be turned away.
If your generator has a tank capacity of 30 gallons or less, 55 gallon drums of gasoline or clear diesel may be available. As per BLM safety regulations, a maximum of 110 gallons may be stored within your camp. Secondary containment systems are required and will be the responsibility of the camp. Further information will be supplied to those who make drum reservations These reservations must be made within the registration window.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Your generator should be large enough to run up to 30 hours in between fills.
- Camps must keep a clear path to the generator(s).
- Remember, driving on Playa is enforced. Using a handcart, trolley or make friends with your neighborhood art car to pick up fuel at Hell Station, located at 10:00 & L.
- The fill pipe accessible area should be no more than 25 feet from the access road.
- Access roads should be 15 feet wide.
- That area also needs to be clear of sources of ignition or open flames.
- Please remember that conditions in Black Rock City can be unpredictable and situations such as weather delays, road closures, equipment failures and other aspects can delay fuel delivery. If you need to request a fuel delivery please contact the fuel team 24-48 hours in advance so we can place you in the delivery queue.
- Camp leads should designate someone to monitor the fuel levels in their generator. If a delivery is missed and your generator will run out of fuel please come to the Hell Station to inform the PETROL team so we can troubleshoot.
- Although arrangements can be made on playa if you decide you have fuel needs, we cannot always guarantee the ability to meet your needs if no previous conversations have been held. Please don’t wait. Make your arrangements today!
Additional Information for Theme Camps and Mutant Vehicles
When making reservations, you will need to provide:
- A contact name, email address and phone number
- Camp name
- Camp location
- Type of fuel
- Type and size of vehicle or equipment to be fueled
- If you wish to purchase small quantities of fuel at the Hell Station and transport it to your Art Project or Theme Camp, fuel must be transported and stored in containers designed and rated for the type of fuel within. These containers must be in good working order and free from defects or leaks. Black Rock City Fuels reserves the right to refuse containers found to be unusable or a hazard.
- Please note: We are asking that Mutant Vehicle operators not store extra fuel for generators on the MV. If your generator must be filled other than at the Hell Station, we ask that you do it at your camp and when there are no passengers on the vehicle.
Any fuel spill in your camp should be reported to Black Rock City Rangers or the Emergency Services Department immediately! They will advise you on remediation. If you find any leaks or spills, please stop or contain the leak as best you can until help arrives. If your vehicle is leaking, please do what you can to contain or stop the leak and please stop driving.
More information of fuel storage can be found here.
Once you have made contact with the PETROL Department about your fuel needs, we will contact you to set up a payment account.
For questions regarding fuel at Burning Man, please email email@example.com.