Water and Fuel Delivery

Potable Water Hauling Policies

Any person who is hauling, delivering, vending, providing, or selling potable water to any individual or organized camp other than their own private or individual camp at Burning Man must be permitted by the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (NDPBH).

Fuel Transportation, Storage and Distribution Requirements

The maximum allowable amount of fuel that can be transported in any vehicle on the roads of Nevada without meeting the criteria below is 1,000 pounds, including container weight. That works out to approximately two 55 gallon drums.

For those bringing fuel in quantities over 1,000 pounds including container weight for delivery to Black Rock City the following requirements apply:

Placarding: All fuel delivery vehicles must be placarded as required by U.S. Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) requirements for fuels contained within them (identifying as flammable and identifying the fuels contained within). At a minimum, placarding must be as follows:

  • For vehicles less than 999 gallons placarded must be displayed on 2 sides
  • For vehicles over 1,000 gallons placarded must be displayed on 4 sides

Containers: Fuel must be stored and transported in containers designed and rated for the type of fuel within. These containers must be in good working order and free from defects or leaks. Black Rock City PETROL reserves the right to refuse containers found to be unusable or a hazard.  Containers are only to be opened when dispensing or receiving fuel.

Licensing: Fuel truck drivers transporting more than 110 gallons of fuel must have commercial grade driver’s license with hazardous materials endorsement. The D.O.T. and the state of Nevada require company specific licensing for the distribution and/or sale of liquid fuels.

Insurance: Fuel providers must have and provide Burning Man with proof of pollution insurance specific to fuel spill and/or groundwater investigation and soil remediation that names Burning Man as equally covered.

Spill Response Plan: Fuel spills of more than 1 gallon must be reported to the Black Rock Rangers or Emergency Services. All fuel providers are required to have on hand spill response and containment equipment to deal with basic fuel spills, including any equipment necessary to protect persons responding to a spill (e.g. personal protective equipment). The provider must also submit to Burning Man their spill response and clean up plan for review and approval. The playa surface is extremely absorbent. Fuel spills can quickly soak in and require extensive soil removal and remediation. Provider is also responsible for any resulting fines from the Bureau of Land Management or other local, state or federal agencies with enforcement authority for fuel spills.

Documentation: Documentation of required licensing, insurance, spill response and cleanup plan must be submitted by July 6th.

For more information email fuel@burningman.org