All participants are welcome to create art for the playa! This section will tell you everything you need to know to create art for Burning Man, register it with us, place it on playa, and remove it at the end of the event – all without leaving a trace.
Thank you for wanting to create art for Burning Man! If you want to bring art to the playa…
- Read our Art Installation Guidelines
- If you’ll be incorporating fire in your project, read our detailed Fire Art Guidelines
- Every year Burning Man issues a small number of grants for the purpose of partially funding specific art projects. The 2016 grant cycle is now open! Learn how to apply if you need financial assistance with your project
- Fill out and submit our registration questionnaire (or if you missed the submission deadline, you can fill it out on-playa at the ARTery). If you are interested in creating art for the Center Camp Café see their guidelines.
- In Black Rock City, volunteers at The ARTery will assist you in placing your art on playa
- If you need help with your project check out Spark, where you can connect with the Burning Man community and post a listing about what you’re looking for to make your creative dream a reality.
- Learn about art installations from past years in The Art of Burning Man
It’s worth noting that most installations contain an interactive element, which allows participants to fully engage with the piece instead of viewing it from a safe distance as we are used to in our museum- and gallery-oriented world. Participants are encouraged to explore and interact with the art, and may well find themselves helping an artist to build a structure or performing some task to activate an art object. Touching, climbing, entering, spinning, engaging and exploring are encouraged.