So, you want to register a Theme Camp, Village or Mutant Vehicle Camp? All camps desiring placement must fill out the Camp Placement Questionnaire, which goes live mid-February and closes towards the end of April. See Burner Profiles for exact dates in a specific year and familiarize yourself with the criteria for your camp’s category below.
Theme Camps and Villages
A Theme Camp is an interactive camp. Theme Camps are groups of Burning Man participants who come together to provide a service, entertainment, art, or other creative interactive experience for everyone at Burning Man. This interactivity can be truly anything, as long as it happens within your camp! Theme Camps are home to groups of anywhere from six to 400 people. There are also Villages, which are groups of three or more Theme Camps combined together.
Criteria for Theme Camp placement:
- Camps should be visually stimulating, have an inviting design and a plan for bike parking and crowd management.
- Camps must be interactive. They should include activities, events or services within their camps and they must be available to the entire Burning Man community.
- Camps must be neighborly. This includes keeping sound within set limits, controlling where camp generators vent exhaust, and easily resolving any boundary disputes that arise.
- Camps must have a good previous MOOP record (for returning camps).
- Camps must follow safety protocols designed by the organization, including traffic management on the streets, proper handling of fuels, and any other areas defined by the organization’s production team.
- Finally, camps must submit a registration questionnaire — including an uploaded camp layout plan and a Leave No Trace commitment — before the last Thursday in April deadline.
Thank you for creating a Theme Camp or Village for Burning Man!
Mutant Vehicle Camps
A Mutant Vehicle Camp and its campers primarily focus on using their Mutant Vehicles (MV) to provide interactivity to Black Rock City citizens on playa. Mutant Vehicle Camps are placed outside interactive Theme Camp areas and as close to their requested location as possible.
Criteria for Mutant Vehicle Camp placement:
- You must fill out a Mutant Vehicle Application with the Department of Mutant Vehicles (DMV) and a Camp Placement Questionnaire with Placement by their respective deadlines. See Burner Profiles for exact dates this year.
- To receive placement, your Mutant Vehicle must be invited and receive Work Access Passes (WAP) from the DMV for early site access to the event. Placement checks directly with the DMV to ensure your MV is invited and receiving WAPs. Placement does not issue Work Access Passes to Mutant Vehicle Support Camps.
- Mutant Vehicle Camp sizes must fall within the population criteria parameters based on the capacity/occupancy of the Mutant Vehicle(s). The capacity/occupancy of your Mutant Vehicle is submitted on your Mutant Vehicle Application. See table below.
- Mutant Vehicle Camps must be neighborly. This includes keeping sound within set limits, controlling where camp generators vent exhaust, and easily resolving any boundary disputes that arise.
- Mutant Vehicle Camps must have a good previous MOOP record (for returning camps).
- Mutant Vehicle Camps must follow safety protocols designed by the organization, including traffic management on the streets, proper handling of fuels, and any other areas defined by the organization’s production team
Mutant Vehicle (MV) Camp Population Criteria
|MV capacity||Maximum number
|Maximum Sq Ftg
|1 – 4||7 – 12||5,000|
|5 – 10||13 – 18||7,500|
|11 – 20||19 – 25||10,000|
|21 – 30||38 – 50||20,000|
|31 – 40||38 – 50||20,000|
|41 – 50||51 – 75||30,000|
|51 – 60||51 – 75||30,000|
|61 – 70||51 – 75||30,000|
|71 – 80||51 – 75||30,000|
|81 – 90||76 – 100||40,000|
|91 – 100||76 – 100||40,000|
|101+||76 – 100||40,000|
If your camp doesn’t need that much room, please ask for the population and square footage you need, not the maximum allowed, to help with density and open camping in Black Rock City.
If you have more than one MV, take the maximum number of campmates corresponding with each MV’s capacity and add them together. This will give you the total maximum camp population and square footage for all your MVs.
For example, if MV #1 has a capacity of 21-30 (= 50 people in camp max) and MV #2 has a capacity of 5-10 (= 18 people in camp max), then your total maximum camp size would be 68 people, which falls within the 51-75 number of campmates bracket of 30,000 sq ft.
If your combined total is higher than what’s on the above table, email firstname.lastname@example.org for help determining your maximum population and square footage.