WHAT THIS POLICY COVERS
We use the term “Personal Information” to mean information that can be used to identify someone as an individual, such as their name, mailing address, email address, phone number, images, or audio or video recordings, whether used alone or in combination with other personal or identifying information that is linked or linkable to a specific individual.
If you are under 13, you must ask your parent or legal guardian for their permission before sending any Personal Information to us or asking us to email you. If you are under 13 and visit our Site and/or send any Personal Information to us, you are confirming that your parent or legal guardian has consented to you doing so.
INFORMATION YOU KNOWINGLY GIVE TO US
We collect Personal Information and other information you actively send us or enter on our Site. You knowingly provide such information when you interact with our Site in a number of different ways, including without limitation:
- Creating a Burner Profile;
- Contributing to the ePlaya online community, image Galleries, Spark connection tool, Rideshare board, Playa Events calendar, Burning Man Hive, or other public areas of our Site;
- Submitting an online questionnaire, application, or other form;
- Signing up for our newsletters or other mailing lists;
- Posting comments on the Burning Man Journal;
- Sending us emails;
- Making online donations to Burning Man Project;
- Registering for ticket sales or events;
- Purchasing tickets to Burning Man events or other items via our Site; and/or
- Making Burner Express bookings.
INFORMATION THAT IS AUTOMATICALLY COLLECTED BY OUR SYSTEM
Whenever you visit our Site, we may automatically collect certain types of information from your device, including without limitation:
- The type and version of your web browser, device, operating system, and platform;
- Your IP address and internet service provider;
- The date and time of your visit;
- Information about how you use our Site, including the links you click, the pages you view, and how you navigate the Site;
- The search terms you use on our Site or to locate our Site from external search engines; and
- How our Site performs when you visit it.
WHAT WE DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use the Personal Information that we receive to operate our Site, to produce Burning Man events, and for other projects in support of our mission. Your Personal Information may be stored on our systems and shared among Burning Man Project’s subsidiaries and affiliates, including without limitation Black Rock City LLC, the Black Rock Arts Foundation, and Green Tree Nevada Properties, LLC. We do not rent or sell your personal information to any other entity. We do not share your personal information with any other person or entity, except when:
- We have your permission;
- We engage an authorized third-party vendor or service provider to help us with specialized services, such as payment processing, ticketing, email deployment, event promotion, fundraising campaigns, website performance monitoring, hosting, and/or data processing and security;
- We must respond to a subpoena, court order, law enforcement request, legal claim, government inquiry, or other legal process;
- We must exercise our legal rights, protect our property, defend against legal claims, or otherwise comply with the law;
- We reorganize, consolidate, restructure, merge, or dissolve any of Burning Man Project’s legal entities and transfer assets in connection therewith; or
Donations, ticket orders, and purchases made via our Site are processed in collaboration with third-party service providers. Similarly, Burning Man Project relies on third-party service providers to offer certain social functionality on our Site, send emails, and conduct surveys. The Personal Information you provide in connection with these transactions and other uses is also governed by the privacy policies of those providers. We will use reasonable efforts to notify you of those policies at the time your Personal Information is collected by those providers.
Burning Man Project and/or our affiliates may at times contact you at your email address to keep you informed about events, news, fundraising, and other Burning Man-related opportunities and information. Should you not wish to receive such communications, you may opt out by following the instructions in the communication.
You can contact us at the address provided below to request access to the Personal Information in your Burner Profile and other accounts you register on our Site. You can edit Personal Information in your Burner Profile by logging in and manually editing your account. You can also delete your Burner Profile and other accounts you register on our Site, either directly within the accounts or by sending a message through the “Contact Us” link on our Site (https://burningman.org/network/about-us/contact/) that specifies the account or other Personal Information that you would like deleted. For technical reasons, the information that you have voluntarily shared in public submissions to our Site may remain visible to users of our Site even after the deletion of the associated account.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
You can prevent Google Analytics from recognizing you on return visits to our Site by disabling cookies in your browser.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY
You understand, however, that whenever you submit expressive content to certain areas of our Site — such as the Galleries, Spark, ePlaya, Playa Events calendar, theme camp and art project listings, Burning Man Journal, and Burning Man Hive — your submission may be made public on the Site. We are not responsible for the use of any Personal Information that you or others choose to post publicly. You may be identified as the author of any posted expressive content unless you instruct us otherwise.
We will identify your public submissions to our Site by the handle you register and will not disseminate any other registration information without your authorization. If you contact other users of our Site by email, your Personal Information may be included in the header, as with any email.
In general, we cannot guarantee your anonymity whenever you interact with our Site.
Please note that our Site may contain links to third-party websites. These third-party websites may send their own cookies to collect data and solicit Personal Information. Therefore, we cannot guarantee your privacy when visiting such third-party sites, nor the accuracy or acceptability of any services provided by such third parties.
We may update this policy from time to time to reflect changes to our privacy practices or for other operational, legal, or regulatory reasons. When any significant changes are made to this policy, we will post a notification in a prominent place on this website so that you may be made aware of the changes. This notification will appear the first time you log on to this website following a significant change in this policy.
This policy is effective as of January 26, 2022.