Guidelines for Flame Effects on Mutant Vehicles
Some of the most spectacular Mutant Vehicles seen on the playa incorporate Flame Effects into their design, blowing fire into the night sky. As amazing as this is, Flame Effects on Mutant Vehicles present unique challenges, due to the fact that the vehicles move about the playa and carry passengers. While the use of LP Gas Flame Effects is permitted, using liquid fueled effects or open fire that cannot be instantly extinguished is NOT allowed on Mutant Vehicles.
Note that your vehicle must be registered, approved and licensed by the Department of Mutant Vehicles before a member of the Fire Art Safety Team (FAST) will review any Flame Effects.
When incorporating Flame Effects, Mutant Vehicle operators must not only follow the General Flame Effects Guidelines, but also take into consideration the following factors in the design and construction of Flame Effects for their vehicle:
- Route your hoses inboard and away from hot exhaust pipes or manifolds. You will be moving and the possibility exists that you could run into an unlit object on the playa or another Mutant Vehicle. All fuel sources and lines should be protected from potential damage due to a collision.
- Place your fuel tanks where they are protected from collision or from participants stepping or standing on them.
- The 1/4 turn shut off valve needs to be where the driver or Flame Effects operator can reach it quickly in the event of an emergency.
- The flames from your device must exit at least 10 from the ground. Exceptions to this will be examined on a case-by-case basis.
- Please read this document containing Guidelines for Maximum Allowable Propane Amounts on Mutant Vehicles
FAST will inspect your vehicle’s Flame Effects at the Department of Mutant Vehicles on playa to ensure you’ve followed all the requirements for safely constructing and operating the Flame Effects. Failure to pass this inspection will result in your not being allowed to operate the Flame Effect on your vehicle. This is in addition to the DMV inspecting your vehicle for its own licensing. Failure to pass their inspection will result in your not being licensed to drive your Mutant Vehicle on the playa.
Here are email addresses to direct questions concerning:
Art installations in general: installations @burningman.com
Open Fire: email@example.com
Flame Effects: firstname.lastname@example.org