Theme Camp and Village Layout Plans
Following the guidelines below, please prepare your camp layout plan prior to starting your Placement questionnaire. Layout plans are submitted as file uploads into the questionnaire.
- Accepted formats are Joint Photographic Group (.jpg), Portable Network Graphics (.png), or Portable Document Format (.pdf). Limit file size to approximately 1 MB. Most printer drivers will allow a document to be saved as a .pdf file. While hand-drawn layouts are not optimal, you may photograph a drawing or sculpture of your layout with a digital camera, in order to create a .jpg file for submission.
- Deadline is the end of April. Once the Placement questionnaire is activated in the spring, the firm deadline is explicitly stated on the BRC participation forms page.
Important Camp Safety Features
- Camps must have an entrance into camp at least 12’ wide for access fire lanes (8’ for vehicle plus 4’ for workspace on sides). Avoid one-way-in and one-way-out (dead-end) fire lanes.
- Ideally the entrance for a fire lane should be straight into camp, centrally located. For camps with hard-sided structures, this fire lane should be a straight lane with ability to either turn around or back straight out. This entrance should be maintained and not blocked by vehicles or bikes at any time.
- Signage and caution tape can be used to designate the fire lane. Participants should keep in mind the fire exposure issue with hard-sided structures lined up side-by-side. We recommend that hard-sided structures have at least 5’ between them for exposures.
- All camps and villages must be equipped with fire extinguishers in designated areas located on a post in full view.
- Fuel caches should have basic containment (shallow berm with sheeting).
- Avoid using ABC extinguishers in kitchens (serious contaminants) – recommend damp towels as 1st use in a kitchen fire
- Laminate a “HOW TO USE” tag on each extinguisher (PASS)
- Include your camp name and contact info on your camp plan.
- Layout plans must be an overhead view of your camp.
- Include both frontage and depth dimensions in feet.
- 8.5 x 11-inch “landscape” (horizontal) orientation, best suited for black & white printing — avoid dark, cluttered backgrounds. (We know they’re cool, but please do not use satellite photos of previous years.)
- Call out significant features and each project within your camp area:
- If you own a BRC storage container that needs to be delivered and placed, provide the PC# on your plan, indicate the exact placement of the container (with distances from camp perimeters), and indicate where the container doors should open.
- Where is the camp entrance?
- Where is the main structure or area for the participant interactions?
- Where are vehicles parked?
- Where are generators?
- Re: villages: where are your access roads?
- A camp frontage view is requested, but not required.
- When submitting your plan as a digital file, be sure the file name is your unique camp name. (NOT the generic “camp plan”, or “layout plan”)
- When writing or replying to us, be sure your camp name is in the subject line of all emails.
Questions or problems submitting a layout plan? firstname.lastname@example.org