“Disabled Person’s Vehicle” licenses are issued by the Burning Man DMV to participants with physical disabilities. Just like Mutant Vehicles, you should pre-register in order to get a license to operate a Disabled Person’s Vehicle.
How do you get a license?
- Read the Black Rock City Vehicle Protocols and Driving Rules at Burning Man.
- Meet the Burning Man DMV’s Disabled Person’s Vehicle License Criteria (below).
- Pre-register your vehicle through our online application form. All vehicles should be pre-registered through this form to be considered for on-playa licensing (see link at bottom of this page).
- Bring your vehicle to the Burning Man DMV at Black Rock City for final vehicle inspection.
- Once licensed, the person with the disability MUST be in the vehicle any time it is driven in Black Rock City. Others cannot drive the vehicle without the person with the disability in the vehicle.
Disabled Person’s Vehicle Licensing Criteria:
- Registrant must provide a government-issued Disabled ID, Parking Placard or Disabled license plate number with the accompanying identification card (if your government, city or state provides one). The name on the card must match the applicant.
- The reason we require a government-issued ID, Placard or License plate is that we are not in a position to gauge what does or does not constitute a physical disability. For folks with recent injuries or limited movement of a temporary nature, it has been our experience most doctors will sign off on a temporary placard in those cases for an event such as Burning Man.
- In cases where a disability is due to an injury that happens after the registration deadline and/or is too recent to obtain a Disabled Placard/ID please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- A standard of safety for your vehicle and its occupants
- Physical inspection and a photograph of the vehicle on the playa
- Past behavior
- Current behavior (violating driving rules at Burning Man is cause for revocation of your license, impound of the vehicle, and possible ejection from the event)
The following vehicles are NOT allowed as Disabled Person’s Vehicles:
- Vehicles larger than standard-sized pickup trucks/SUVs (converted “mobility vans” are acceptable)
- Vehicles with multiple levels
- Vehicles with trailers
- RVs/ Motorhomes
The following vehicles do not require licensing to be used as Disabled Person’s Vehicles :
- Electric Wheelchairs
- Mobility Scooters
- Electric Bicycles
- Small Go-ped style stand up powered skateboards (with no seat)
The use of flame effects on vehicles operated by disabled participants at Burning Man requires special arrangements. If your disability will not affect your ability to control your flame effect or if you have made special arrangements that would allow you to operate your effect safely, please contact email@example.com to discuss this matter with us.
All general questions regarding licensing can be sent to the DMV at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final licensing takes place at Burning Man where the DMV’s team of Hotties will check your vehicle and your Disability paperwork. When you are ready to start driving your vehicle on the playa, make the DMV your very first stop and bring your DMV invite letter with you. Once at the DMV, the DMV staff will confirm that your vehicle meets the criteria for a license and provide your vehicle with a license sticker and flag to designate it as licensed to drive at the event.
First Step: Register Your Vehicle
Pre-Registration for Disabled Person’s Vehicles for Burning Man 2018 will be open in February 2018. Specific dates will be posted once available.
After you have read and understood all of the above sections, go to the BRC Participation Forms site and click on the Disabled Person’s Vehicle Application link to fill out an application.
If you have ANY questions about the Disabled Person’s Vehicle criteria or Disabled Person’s Vehicle licensing, please email us at email@example.com.