“Disability Vehicle” (DV) licenses are issued by the Burning Man DMV to participants with physical disabilities. Just like Mutant Vehicles, you should pre-register in order to get a license to operate a Disability Vehicle.
NOTE: Disability Vehicles being driven into the event will require a vehicle pass. Towed vehicles (such as a golf cart or ATV) do not.
How do you get a license?
- Read the Black Rock City Vehicle Protocols and Driving Rules at Burning Man.
- Meet the Burning Man DMV’s Disability Vehicle License Criteria (below).
- Pre-register your vehicle through our online application form. All vehicles should be pre-registered through this form to be considered for on-playa licensing (see link at bottom of this page).
- Bring your vehicle to the Burning Man DMV at Black Rock City for final vehicle inspection.
- Once licensed, the person with the disability MUST be in the vehicle any time it is driven in Black Rock City. Others cannot drive the vehicle without the person with the disability in the vehicle.
Disability Vehicle Licensing Criteria:
- Registrant must provide a government-issued Disability ID, Parking Placard or Disability license plate number with the accompanying identification card (if your government, city or state provides one). The name on the card must match the applicant.
- The reason we require a government-issued ID, Placard or License plate is that we are not in a position to gauge what does or does not constitute a physical disability. For folks with recent injuries or limited movement of a temporary nature, it has been our experience most doctors will sign off on a temporary placard in those cases for an event such as Burning Man.
- In cases where a disability is due to an injury that happens after the registration deadline and/or is too recent to obtain a Disability Placard/ID please email email@example.com for assistance.
- A standard of safety for your vehicle and its occupants
- Physical inspection and a photograph of the vehicle on the playa
- Past behavior
- Current behavior (violating driving rules at Burning Man is cause for revocation of your license, ejection of the vehicle and/or the operator from the event)
The following vehicles are NOT allowed as Disability Vehicles:
- Vehicles larger than standard-sized pickup trucks/SUVs.
- Vehicles longer than 20 feet and wider or taller than 7 feet are generally disallowed.
- Vehicles with multiple levels
- Vehicles with trailers
- RVs/ Motorhomes
- Two-Wheeled vehicles of any kind (Motorcycles/Mopeds/Scooters)
The following vehicles do not require licensing to be used as Disability Vehicles :
- Electric Wheelchairs
- 3 & 4 wheeled Mobility Scooters
For other powered vehicles that do not require licensing to be used at Burning Man, please see:
The use of flame effects on vehicles operated by participants with disabilities at Burning Man requires special arrangements. If your disability will not affect your ability to control your flame effect or if you have made special arrangements that would allow you to operate your effect safely, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this matter with us.
All general questions regarding licensing can be sent to the DMV at email@example.com.
Final licensing takes place at Burning Man where the DMV’s team of Hotties will check your vehicle and your Disability paperwork. When you are ready to start driving your vehicle on the playa, make the DMV your very first stop and bring your DMV invite letter with you. Once at the DMV, the DMV staff will confirm that your vehicle meets the criteria for a license and provide your vehicle with a license sticker and flag to designate it as licensed to drive at the event.
NOTE: In general, unless there is a problem with the type of vehicle, the vehicle’s ability to safely operate, or an issue with the registrant’s past behavior, the DMV will usually approve all qualified Disability Vehicle applications.
First Step: Register Your Vehicle
After you have read and understood all of the above sections, go to the Questionnaire site for this year’s exact registration dates and click on the Disability Vehicle Application link to fill out an application.
If you have ANY questions about the Disability Vehicle criteria or licensing, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.