Disabled Person’s Vehicle Criteria and Licensing

Disabled Person’s Vehicle” licenses are issued by the DMV to participants with physical disabilities. Just like Mutant Vehicles, you should pre-register in order to get a license to operate a Vehicle for People with Disabilities.

For general information regarding vehicles at Burning Man, go here.
For information on bringing a Mutant Vehicle to Burning Man, go here.

How do you get a license?

  1. Read the Black Rock City Vehicle Protocols and Driving Rules at Burning Man.
  2. Meet the DMV’s Disabled Person’s Vehicle License Criteria (below).
  3. Pre-register your vehicle through our online application form.   All vehicles should be pre-registered through this form to be considered for on playa licensing.
  4. Bring your vehicle to the DMV at Black Rock City for final vehicle inspection.
  5. Once licensed, the person with the disability MUST be in the vehicle any time it is driven in Black Rock City.  Others cannot drive the vehicle without the person with the disability in the vehicle.

The criteria for licensing a Disabled Person’s Vehicle include:

  • Providing a government issued Disabled placard or Disabled license plate number with the accompanying identification card (if your government, city or state provides one). The name on the card must match the applicant.
  • A standard of safety for your vehicle and its occupants
  • Physical inspection and a photograph of the vehicle on the playa
  • Past behavior
  • Current behavior (violating driving rules at Burning Man is cause for revocation of your license, impound of the vehicle, and possible ejection from the event)

The following vehicles are NOT allowed as Disabled Person’s Vehicles:

  • Vehicles larger than standard-sized pickup trucks/SUVs (converted “mobility vans” are acceptable)
  • Vehicles having multiple levels
  • Vehicles with trailers
  • RVs/ Motorhomes
  • Motorcycles/Mopeds

The following vehicles do not require licensing to be used as as Disabled Person’s Vehicles :

  • Electric Wheelchairs
  • Mobility Scooters
  • Electric Bicycles
  • Segways
  • Go-ped style stand up powered skateboards (with no seat)

The use of flame effects on vehicles operated by disabled participants at Burning Man require special arrangements. If your disability will not affect your ability to control your flame effect or if you have made special arrangements that would allow you to operate your effect safely, please contact dmv-flame-effects@burningman.org to discuss this matter with us.

All general questions regarding licensing can be sent to the DMV at dmv@burningman.org.

Final Licensing

Final licensing takes place at Burning Man where the DMV’s team of Hotties will check your vehicle and your State issued paperwork. When you are ready to start driving your vehicle on the playa, make the DMV your very first stop and bring your acceptance letter with you. Once at the DMV, the DMV staff will make sure you meet the criteria for a license.

Register Your Vehicle

Pre-Registration for Disabled Persons Vehicles for Burning Man 2017 will be open from February 22, 2017 – August 3, 2017 at 12:00 noon Pacific Time..

After you have read and understand all of the above sections, go to the BRC Participation Forms  site and click on the Disabled Persons Vehicle Application link to fill out an application.


If you have ANY questions about the Mutant Vehicle criteria or Mutant Vehicle licensing, please email us at dmv@burningman.org.