Road debris is a serious concern any time of the year and in the U.S. annually causes 51,000 accidents, injuring nearly 10,000. Don’t add to the U.S. statistic. Secure your load safely like someone you love is driving behind you, because they are. Although we have been greatly improving, this is a serious safety matter and our LNT Highway Cleanup team still cleans up road debris that has blown off vehicles departing the event. Follow these tips and leave the highways clean, beautiful and safe.
- “Tie It Strong!” The wind can exert hundreds of pounds of pressure per square foot on your load at 60 miles per hour, and push it right off your vehicle. Firmly secure large items with cargo netting, solid straps, rope, and bungee cords.
- “Don’t Overload!” Cramming too much stuff onto a vehicle increases the risk of items shifting, sliding or falling onto the roadway. Keep items level with the truck bed or trailer unless firmly tied down.
- “Heavy On Top, Lighter On Bottom!” Put lighter items at the bottom and heavier items on top to help keep them in place.
- “Cover Up!” Your entire load, especially loose items, should be firmly covered with a tarp or cargo netting. Remember to make sure the tarp is securely fastened to the vehicle.
- “Triple Check Your Load!” Check that all items are securely anchored down and any tarps are tied to the vehicle. Ask yourself, “Is this load safe and roadworthy?”