Help hold the line of safety and keep the Fire Burning
Do you love fire?Do you love helping people be safe?
Do you look snappy in an orange vest?
Do you want to give back to the Burning Man community in a meaningful way?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, we have a volunteer opportunity for you!
We burn a lot of big art at Burning Man.
To do that safely, we set up a burn perimeter around each burn to keep the citizens of Black Rock City safe. These perimeters are formed with volunteers stationed in a circle surrounding the art. With a smile and a flashlight, these great folks help to maintain the safety areas around all of the wondrous art that is set ablaze each year.
This work usually begins two hours before a burn and ends after the artwork has burned down enough that it’s safe for people to approach it. We will provide a one-hour pre-event meeting to give you tips and guidelines so you know what to expect.
This is not VIP seating at a burn, as you will be vigilant and looking away from the burn. But you will be helping to make sure we can keep the burning in Burning Man! So important!
What gear do you need?
- Long sleeved cotton shirt and pants (no synthetic clothing)
- Wide brimmed hat
- Clear goggles for night-time use
- A full water bottle
- High intensity flashlight for seeing and signaling
- Dust mask
- Jacket (optional, but highly recommended)
- Small food items (optional, but again recommended)
- We will provide a smart orange safety vest for you to use while you are on the perimeter.
What skills and attitude do you need?
- Ability to stand more or less in one place for a few hours. Dancing and talking to yourself is more than acceptable.
- Awareness of your surroundings and what is happening in them.
- Patience and love for the citizens of Black Rock City as you tell yet another bicyclist that they are riding through a perimeter.
- Respectful communication skills then come into play as you ask that bicyclist nicely but insistently to please go around for their own safety.
Are you interested?
If you would like to sign up directly, please access your Burner Profile and then select Volunteer for the Burn Perimeter Support Group.
Questions? Contact us at BPSG-VC-List@burningman.org
Photo credits: Paulius Musteikis, Sidney Erthal, Gabe Kirchheimer, Ron Lussier